Sunday, March 13, 2016

Silent Communication- Sitcom Style

The show I chose to (finally) watch was The Big Bang Theory. After having friends recommend it to me for years now, I figure what better chance to expose myself than through this activity!

In the opening scene, there is a group of 4 guys sitting around in the living room of an apartment. They are all facing one another openly, and seem to be friends by the way the conversation shifts across the group. Shortly after the show began, a female entered the apartment, and seemed to be friends as well. Initially it was as if she were only a friend, though after a short interaction one of the guys showed a more visually responsive demeanor towards her, and eventually kissed her. Being that it was welcomed, I can assume that the female and this one guy are a couple.

Once I turned the volume on, I found my initial assumptions to be true. The 4 gentlemen were in fact close friends. Throughout the remainder of the episode, the guys hung out together again, and again. The female from the beginning scene was, in fact, dating one of the friends. He was very fond of her, and continued to show very bold emotions of love and acceptance of her, more so than some of his friends. As the show continued, I was able to deduct relationship information from the body languages of the characters. Though, there were a few characters that didn't necessarily have a full range of emotional expressive abilities, which resulted in making those characters harder to understand without verbal communication. Because of these characters, the show proved to be chock-full of uncomfortable interactions due to miscommunications, or a lack of social grace (i.e. bluntness).

The multiple personalities on the show, and the unexpected relationships between the characters leaves me to believe that I will definitely watch more to understand the differences in communications between these very unique character personalities!

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa
    I enjoyed your post. I can understand why you the communication could be uncomfortable and misunderstanding with the roles of their character and the personalities that they displayed. Thanks for sharing you post.

    ReplyDelete