Sunday, March 20, 2016

Cross-Cultural Communication

Within the community that I work, many cultures are represented. In my school alone, we see over 20 native languages embedded into our English speaking community. When thinking about if I communicate across cultures differently, I find that I do often shift my interactions towards cultural mediums. Though, the cultural shifts that I make within my own communications are similar in approach, regardless of the culture with which I am interacting. Even though the approach make be the same, I find that the direct presentation of my communication shifts depend on the situation. I find that I make more references towards meaningful cultural events in different families lives, such as their involvement in their cultural-communities (i.e. religious holidays, cultural traditions, etc.) I find that I also will be more cognisant of the differences in communication form (i.e. changes in eye contact, physical contact, and reciprocal turn taking within communications). When thinking about the best ways to communicate across cultures these are a few suggestions I have:

  1. Take the time to understand the culture with which your are communicating. Learn through questioning (either the direct contact person, or through other means- books, internet, etc.). Learning more about what to expect from that culture's norms allows for easier navigating when communicating.
  2. Take the time to listen more deeply, instead of simply hearing what is being said. By listening critically, with intention to understand language differences, you can grow more successful in understanding the functions of communications. By listening, you become privy to cultural priorities, and even sometimes cultural concerns.
  3. Make a clear effort to show that you are open to the cultural difference. Making an effort can be done in a variety of ways. One way I find most helpful is through note taking. Prior to meeting with a family or colleague from a different background, I compile a list of my own questions/concerns that may arise within conversation. I also make a list of reminders to keep in the forefront of my mind regarding the cultural within which I am communicating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment