Saturday, November 23, 2013

Farewell, early educator's paradise....

So here I am.. Writing on the Amtrak train, heading home from Washington, D.C. What an incredible few days it has been. What was I doing in the nation's capitol, you might be asking yourself. I was attending the National Conference and Expo for the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). Four days of lectures, interactive presentations, resources, books, free Elmers Glue and countless convincing sales persons from companies such as Discount School Supply and Teaching Strategies Gold. To say my past week has been inspiring would be an understatement. At the conference I met leaders in the field of early education that make incredible impacts across various sectors of the field. I had a chance to hear Ella Jenkins sing and Lillian Katz speak. I wish it never ended. Messages of parental value, the need for technological literacy, and strong leadership were most impactful to my experience.


"Every time you give a parent a sense of success or of empowerment, you're offering it to the baby indirectly. Because every time a parent looks at that baby and says 'Oh, you're so wonderful,' that baby just bursts with feeling good about themselves."
- T. Berry Brazelton
 
 
The best part about Dr. Brazelton's quote is that parents and teachers can be interchangeable. If we continue to boost the confidence and internal value of teachers, their positive footprint in a child's path of development grows deeper.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE what you said about leaving a footprint. I believe that teachers have the opportunity to make a difference. We all love positive praise, I know that when I felt like I was doing a good job teaching it made me continue to do more; and reach more people. I think when we pursue our own passions the best come out for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete