Saturday, June 21, 2014

Online Resources- Week 7

The first area I chose to explore within UNESCO’s web page was the tab titled “Culture.” After clicking on this tab, I was taken aback by the several different options I had to explore within that one umbrella topic. After reading the titles of my options, I chose to first explore the information on Culture for Sustainable Development. In the introduction to this particular page, I was captivated by one particular statement: “Culture is who we are and what shapes our identity. Culture contributes to poverty reduction and paves the way for a human-centred, inclusive and equitable development. No development can be sustainable without it.” This statement, in my perspective, provides a grande argument for why sustaining individual region’s culture is so important to global development. Simply put- culture defines who we are, and without it, we cannot move forward.

While choosing to remain within the topic of culture, I chose to next explore the Diversity of Cultural Expression. I came to learn that there is a legally binding treating which “ensures that artists, cultural professionals and practitioners, as well as citizens can create, produce, disseminate, and enjoy a broad range of cultural goods, services, and activities, including their own.” To create a legal precedent allowing all people of all cultures to express themselves in a variety of meaningful ways is a tool that be utilized to continue expressing the immeasurable value in cultural diversity. Along with the concept of sustaining the cultures which define us, this concept of diverse expression allows individual cultures to be shared in the many languages in which are naturally utilized- be it in words, paintings, sculptures or song.

As I was drawn to culture initially, I found myself exploring a separate tab specifically for Social and Human Sciences. Within this tab, I was able to discover many different themes ranging from human rights to bioethics. What I was able to discover, is that UNESCO provides recent information regarding controversial topics that may affect people in countries around the globe. With these issues, information is provided in a current news format, but also in a research format as well. If a person were to be seeking information regarding a specific topic, they would have the ability to gain a deeper insight into the topic using alternative resources.



6 comments:

  1. Alyssa,

    I too found my way through this resource and was pleasantly surprised to see that we did not touch on similar parts of the website for this blog assignment. That shows how powerful and expansive the resources on the internet can be. We can learn so much ourselves as well as provide insights for others. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,

    Culture is very important for educators because we will come in contact with children and families from many diverse groups. It is our responsibility to try to educate ourselves on these different cultures because there will be a time when we will encounter someone that we may not be familiar with their culture. I believe that once a child comes to be part of our classroom, we should learn as much as we can to accommodate the family on their culture by bringing things into the classroom curriculum to teach other children in the classroom.
    Thanks for providing such great information about culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa -
    Thanks for posting this information about UNESCO's website. I love learning about all types of cultures and this is a resource I would like to research more into. I liked what you said about expressing in different forms such as paintings, sculptures, and songs. Many cultures use different ways to express certain feelings, religion, and traditions.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Gena

    ReplyDelete
  4. the UNESCO website was chock full of valuable information. I'm so glad I was introduced to this site. Were you able to explore the early childhood tab? I was really interested in the holistic approach. I will have to return to the site and read up some more about the cultural aspect of UNESCO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aylass I enjoyed reading your post this week, I too myself touch on a few points about this article. I have realized as an educator. I too myself have realized culture is very significant for educators for the reason that we will always have to deal with culture and have to engage in numerous conversations with different culture in our classroom. I feel as an Educator the more knowledge we know about these different cultures that we come in contact with the better relationship we will have with our children and their families. I think we should have a variety of different culture that we can put up on our wall in our classroom that represents different culture within our classroom. Thanks for sharing this information with us.
    Have a great week.
    Temika Mccann
    week 7

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Your post was very rich with information. Thank you for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete