Saturday, June 28, 2014

Consequences & Goal

Awareness of the many organizations available to utilize as resources
I can continue to grow as an advocate for many causes, thanks to the many
new outlets of information that I have become aware of, such as: The National Center for Children in Poverty, UNICEF, and the Children's Defense Fund.
Restored faith of the efforts of improving quality of life of children across the globe
I feel as though I have been sheltered from many of the beautiful efforts set forth in foreign countries, as I have still just begun to learn of efforts in my own country. I have now been exposed to stories of success, research based data, and many other concrete pieces of evidence that have shone a light on progress of Early Childhood Education throughout many parts of the world.
My previous assumptions of the general qualities necessary for obtaining a status of “excellence” in early care and education hold true to several standards set forth by certain researchers and policy makers
I have spent the past several years believing in the power of a well rounded basis of education incorporating both physical experiences with knowledge of child development and EC pedagogy. This particular criterion of holding a sound higher education foundation is one that is believes the play a major role in quality of care and education, especially when building relationships and foundations of language.



Goal
Something that I have always thought of as a distant possibility is the idea of traveling abroad and dedicating my work to global early childhood development. Over the course of the past eight weeks, I have begun to realize how many opportunities there are to become involved in global work. Now, although the possibility is not more near in my future, I realize that I have options to begin my journey. Several organizations design short term trips to gain a hands-on-experience working to support growth in early care and development systems in impoverished countries. I am setting a goal for myself to be accomplished within the next 10 years to spend at least two weeks working with a developing EC program, whether education based or family & community based.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa -

    I agree with you about the class of Issues and Trends giving me such a wealth of information and resources to use with my profession in early childhood. So much information in helping learning about early childhood aboard and how so much is the same while being so much different at the same time.
    I love your goal of spending the next two weeks working with a developing EC program in another country. That is such an amazing goal. I wish you all the luck over the next 10 years to not only meet this goal but to exceed it. ;) Hope to see ya in some upcoming classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, What an outstanding goal. I wish you the best of luck succeeding and exceeding in that goal you have set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too feel as though i have been sheltered when it comes to the issues presented in this class. I cannot believe how these gaps exist educationally. We must close them. GREAT POST.

    ReplyDelete