Saturday, October 22, 2016

Farewell


"Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind." 
Theodore Roosevelt

To think we have made it would be underselling our stories. Over the course of our time together at Walden, each professional I have come across has shared their stories. These stories included ideas, they included inspirations, but they also included anecdotes of the tangible work we have put into the field. My wish, for my colleagues, is that the words you have shared, along with the ideas you have helped to cultivate, can be shared across the world through bold actions. I hope that each of my colleagues and professors can continue to share their passions and inspire efforts in professionals, families, and children.

As I am completing my final few days in my my M.S. in Early Childhood Studies: Public Policy & Advocacy at Walden University, I can think of three major lessons I have learned throughout my experience. First, I have learned that the most valuable tool a professional has is their community. Be it a working community, a community of practice, or the community in which one resides. Looking around oneself to the people around you, the experiences shared, and the passions being driven can provide any individual with enough fuel and fire to overcome any challenges. A second lesson that I have learned from my experiences is that communication is a skill that is so deeply embedded in our everyday lives, but requires constant consideration. Communication can serve as a bridge or a wall, but I am the factor that determines how communication serves me. Third, I have recognized that the ECE world is just as big, if not bigger, than I have ever imagined. I can remember back to when I was graduating from undergrad and I had felt like there were so many possibilities for me. Though, in reality, I did not nearly understand how many avenues I could follow. Having completing my masters, I can now see that my efforts can be shared, my passions can be spread across families and children around the world in a myriad of ways. 

Looking towards the future, one goal that I have set for myself as I leave the academic world of Walden University is to take a leap of faith and leave my position as a classroom teacher. As much as I feel passion for directly impacting positive development in the lives of children, I want so badly to gain a new experience working with children through working directly with their families. I plan to spend time this upcoming spring sending out applications to a variety of non-profit organizations. Although I cannot specific declare the type of organizations that I will apply to, I do know that my goal is to gain experience in a new world, one of which I will find in the nonprofit sector. 




No comments:

Post a Comment