Saturday, September 10, 2016

Some Favorites in the ECE Community

As I think of specific early childhood care and education advocacy groups that are highly appealing to me, the following three come to mind:
    • Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood.
This organization is working within the early childhood community to address the growing issues of technology in our youngest children’s lives. I have seen the negative effects of over-commercialization in childhood, as well as the lack of technological literacy experienced by parents and caregivers. As the world is rapidly changing, this organization is working to support adults in appropriately exposing children to technology, as well as addressing the highly negative impact the commercial world has on children.
    • NAEYC
As an active member of NAEYC for the past several years, I have been fortunate enough to feel the power of it’s community. This specific organization houses several communities of practice, be in professionals dedicated to preserving play in early childhood classrooms, professionals dedicated to supporting health and wellness in young children and their families, along with a multitude of other issues. NAEYC has inspired me time and time again to remain active in the field, as they are one of the leader producers of research in the field within the U.S.
    • The Child Advocate
When I had first come across this organization, I was amazed to see how many specific topics they work to address. Aside from the range of topics, I was (and still am) totally awestruck with the clear availability of various supporting professionals within each topic. For example, when looking through the information published by the Child Advocate’s website regarding drugs and medications, specific research articles are available alongside links to additional (outside resources).

Looking at specific jobs within the field that I would be interested in, these are a few that stick out to me.
    • Family Advocate with Youth Advocates Program, Inc.
This specific role would require me to utilize my background and training in child development, as well as policy systems. As a family advocate with this non-profit organization, I would be responsible for providing home-based supports to young families with young children, home-school connections through relationships fostered at the child’s school setting, as well as center-based support groups.
  • Program assistant for Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood
In order to assure my qualifications for this position, I would need to emphasize my own technological literacy. Along with that, I would be required to share in my enthusiasm and understanding of the impact the commercial world has on children. The job would specifically require me to help design campaign outreach, and maintain a level of flexibility when support different components of the organization's office. This position is ideal to me, as it would allow for me to see the many layers of a complex organization.

2 comments:

  1. The NAEYC is a wonderful resource for educators. I have had the pleasure to attend several conferences held by the local and state chapters of NAEYC. Are you a member?
    Great organizations!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree with you NAEYC is an excellent program because it ensures a connection what children learn with past experiences and current interests. Students of any age—and especially young children understand and remember new things that relate to the experiences, knowledge, and skills they already have. A new thread of learning stays with the child when it is part of a fabric, not an isolated strand.
    Also children have opportunities to explore and play.

    ReplyDelete