Sunday, April 10, 2016

Adjourning



As a classroom teacher, I constantly find myself working within groups. Some groups can't adjourn quick enough, whereas others leave me hoping for future collaborations. Several years ago I had worked on a teaching team that was unlike any other team I had worked within. Each of the team members had their own individual style and personality, yet everyone was able to express their ideas just as respectfully as they had listened to the ideas of others. The levels of commitment towards the common visions, and trust for one another was totally unparalleled. When our school year came to an end, 3 of the 4 members on the team were leaving the school to pursue further career goals. Throughout the year, we had worked to support each other in countless ways. Yet, now, we were moving on. This process of adjourning our teamwork allowed for closure in our work together, but also left me feeling as though we were placing a doormat in front of a perpetually unlocked supply closet. Although we were leaving one another, we had left our team in a state of constant connection: we became fully capable of continuing on our contact and providing support to one another in the years to come. 

When my M.S. program at Walden U. is complete, I imagine that I will once again place a doormat outside of my supply closet for each of my new colleagues. Though my time in our classes will be no longer, I will work to remain in contact and available to continue to collaborate with the many great minds I have met along my studies. This very process of adjourning is what allows for the positive growth in our work together to remain alive, and for future support systems to germinate. 

1 comment:

  1. I am a part of a team now that sounds very much like your old team. We work so well together and I feel as though if we were to separate it would be bittersweet. I hope that, if that happens, we will continue to remain in contact.

    ReplyDelete