Saturday, November 8, 2014

Checking in: my simulation challenge


For my research topic this time around I have chosen to focus on the connection between NJ state curriculum regulations and the social emotional growth of children in kindergarten through second grade. Something that I have been having a hard time with, though, is the process of narrowing my research simulation topic into a more specific research question. 

I want to examine the number of required hours teachers must spend teaching social studies and general social skills as stated by the New Jersey Common Core Standards. From the examination of the required timing, I would like to look further into how schools are actually implementing the required curriculum, as well as the growth of the students in social-emotional development as stated through social-emotional evaluations. If this topic is specific enough, I’d begin to look into the different assessments that could be used to measure social-emotional growth. I think that the process of narrowing my topic is especially challenging since I won’t actually be conducting the study. I have a tendency to learn best through experience. 

One of the reasons that I’m leaning towards this particular topic is that it is one that plagues my every day. As a first grade teacher, I am finding less and less time to provide my children with opportunities to grow as people, not just learners. I would like to know if I am in the same situation as most other teachers in my state, or if there are some teachers that are having drastically different experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment