Friday, July 18, 2014

Working with families affected by disabilities has given me countless experiences that allow me to see the positive effects that research has on the early education field.  As the early intervention field continue to evolve, practitioners must be able to seek proven intervention methods for the diverse children they work with. As a toddler teacher, I found myself often working closely with early interventionists. With one particular case, I began working closely with a developmental psychologist. This professional introduced me to several techniques she commonly uses to not only support children's developmental growth, but  also to support the growth of families' interactions with their children. During our time working together, I was able to see the direct impact that the research based intervention DIR-Floortime. This intervention is one that is increasingly used with individuals with ASD. The approach utilizes a development approach that allows for growth in all areas of development. Currently, research on DIR-Floortime has been conducted in several countries, and consistently shows that the approach increases children's emotional skills. With a therapy such as this,  it is essential that research continues in order to share the findings of either the success or challengers of the therapy so that more families will be able to utilize it.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that your experiences with research have been positive and that you have been able to see the great benefits that can be attained by children and their families. I am unfamiliar with the DIRFloortime approach so I did a little bit of research on the methodology. I feel that not only could it be incredibly advantageous for children participating, but also that the research can be conducted on several levels leading to even more positive practice. I am excited about the possibility of the approach becoming more mainstream in early childhood classrooms and care environments. Thank you for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Temika McCann
    Hello Alyssa Cohen,
    I really enjoyed reading on post this week I have learned so much from reading it was very informative. I am glad that your involvements by means of study have been a exploring and pleasant experience. I am glad to see your passion that you have been and that you have been able to see a significant rewards and that you have be present and able to see the boundless assistances that can reached children as well as their families. I am unaware with the topic you have mention in your post and I am interesting in want to do some more investigation. I feel that not only the research motivation make sure the situation possibly will it be amazingly helpful for young kids join in participating. I am very excited about the decision that they are looking to make available in early childhood with doing the research and looking forward reading more about the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the insight that you have given on this particular approach. I am not familiar with this particular approach either. I am going to have to look up and find out more about the DIRFloortime approach. It sounds like it is a good approach to use for children. Thank you for sharing about this.

    ReplyDelete